Thursday 16 January 2014

Quinoa & Pomegranate Salad


I made this salad recently as a main meal for me, and a side dish for my carnivorous husband and we loved it so much I had to share it. It was something I put together with the ingredients I had on hand, so I was pretty pleased with the results. Let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup quinoa
2 hot cups water
1 vegetable stock cube
1 lemon, juiced (use half juice for quinoa, and the other half for the dressing)
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1 cup mixed fresh herbs of choice (I used coriander, mint and parsley)
1 spring onion, sliced finely
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
extra olive oil, to drizzle over salad
50g goats cheese (optional)

Method:

Put the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the quinoa and lightly stir through the hot oil for a minute or so to bring out the flavour.
Add the hot water and stock and allow to simmer (lid on) for around 10 mins. Just before all the water is absorbed, add half of the lemon juice and allow to simmer (lid off) for the remainder of the cooking time, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Pop the lid back on and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and place the quinoa onto a serving platter to dry out a little more.
Add the remaining ingredients, season well and enjoy at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
I've been asked many times to put all my recipes and ideas into a blog, so here it is... please feel free to leave comments, share your own ideas and recipes, or just say hi! Enjoy x